Sign Language in art

NESCBWI 2017
CHALLENGE:
We would like you to illustrate this single line of text for a double-page spread of a picture book: “Can I keep it?” Interpret in any way you like. Think about expanding and diversifying your portfolio! Anything goes as long as it is kid through teen friendly.

(colored pencil on kraft paper & photoshop, 16" by 10" )

Sign Language fun :)
rabbit - "baby"
girl - "keep"

When illustrating the line of text "Can I keep it?" I really wanted to incorporate my special 
education background with this piece... I have worked with so many children who use alternate and augmentative forms of communication.  I drew the two hands (under the text) separately and shrank them down to layer over the piece using photoshop. (It was quite difficult to find a "clear" set of hands for this particular sign that I could just cut and paste as a font, that is why I decided to draw them myself.)  The little girl is also signing "keep" with a questioning eyes. The story being that this is the first time she is meeting her baby brother, she is asking if she can "keep" him. I decided that her stuffed friend (bunny) had to be in on the act too... so you will notice that his arms are creating the sign for "baby". This was one of my favorite challenge pieces to create.